Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars


This is a blast from the past recipe that was a staple at our house growing up. I'm pretty sure that "Have a piece of oatmeal chocolate chip bar" was said by my mom almost as often as "have an apple, have an orange, have a piece of toast" when we complained that we were hungry. This was a much better option, in my opinion than a piece of toast.
I'd misplaced the recipe so after a frantic call to my sister, post it note in hand, I headed to the kitchen. It was just as easy as I remembered and tasted better than I had remembered! I did add a vanilla glaze at Julie's suggestion and that dressed the bars up enough that people thought I had fussed.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
servings: 24

1 c. butter flavor Crisco
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 c. water
2 c. oatmeal
1 c. coconut
1 pkg chocolate chips

1. Cream together Crisco, sugars, eggs and vanilla.
2. Add flour, salt, soda and water. Mix well.
3. Add oatmeal, coconut, and chocolate chips; fold in.
4. Bake in a large baking sheet at 375 for 20-25 min. I bake mine for about
23 min. They are fairly chewy so if you like them more cakelike cook for
only 20 min.

Nutrition (calculated from recipe ingredients)
----------------------------------------------
Calories: 233
Calories From Fat: 102
Total Fat: 11.6g
Cholesterol: 22.4mg
Sodium: 168.9mg
Potassium: 69.5mg
Carbohydrates: 30.9g
Fiber: 1.7g
Sugar: 14.5g
Protein: 2.7g

No comments: