Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Fried Apple Pies

You know those pies that you get at McDonald's? The turnover type? That's what we're talking about here. I watched the Father's Day episode of Paula's Best Recipes and they did a fried turnover with cherries and walnuts that Bri and I thought looked fabulous with the exception of the cherries and walnuts. Using the McDonald's pie as a guide we decided that we would just try these with tinned apple pie filling rather than spending all day concocting a pie filling from scratch. So, really, this is a "not-homemade" recipe. It's more of a technique. We also did some with raspberry pie filling that I really liked. I would assume that you could use whatever pie filling be it canned or homemade that you prefer. The only real recommendation I have is if you make your own filling it would be easier to use shredded apples than sliced. You only put a small amount of apple in each turnover and the shreds would be easier to work with. We kind of wrestled with the apple slices getting them in the pie crust and covered. Over all they turned out awesomely delicious. We had them for a family night treat with the neighbors. Yummy.

Fried Apple Pies
15 pies

2 pie crusts (I used Pillsbury)
1 can pie filling
vegetable oil for frying
sugar

Using a 4" biscuit cutter cut circles from the pie dough and set aside. Run a pastry brush with water around the edge of the crust circle. Put 2 tsp pie filling in the center and top with another circle. Seal closed with a fork.

Heat oil to 350. Carefully drop each pie into the oil and fry until golden brown. I found that a couple of minutes per side was just about the right amount.

Remove from oil and sprinkle with sugar. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Post linked to:
Turning the Table Thursday
Full Pate Thursday
Foodie Wednesday
These Chicks Cooked
Pinch of This, That & the Other
Cast Party Wednesday
Tasty Tuesday
Tasty Tuesdays
Two Maids a Baking
Totally Tasty Tuesdays
Your Recipe My Kitchen
Sweet Indulgences Sunday
Sweets for a Saturday

16 comments:

Kim McCallie said...

I'll bet there are better than McDonald's. I love apple desserts so know I would love these. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

Jigglebuns said...

Yes, they were definitely better than McDonald's :D

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

It looks so yummy! Thanks for the lovely recipe. They are definitely better than McDonalds. Love your space!
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Carolina HeartStrings said...

My husband would eat these up. They look just delicious!

Alida Sharp said...

My grandmother used to make fried pies... this takes me back to my childhood!

Unknown said...

Yum!!! These look great!! Thanks for linking up to 2 Maids a Baking!!

Taste and Tell said...

These look like the perfect dessert!

Anonymous said...

Your recipe looks so good. I would love it if you came over to my party "Cast Party Wednesday" tomorrow and shared some of your recipes with us.
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I agree with Kim....they must be better then McD's and my kids I addicted to those. Can't even imagine what would they do if I made these from scratch.

Hope you can come by and this recipe at Foodie Wednesday
http://www.frugalwannabecooks.com/2011/02/blue-cheese-wedge-salad.html

Wendy said...

This looks soooo good. I would love it if you stopped by tomorrow for "Turning the Table Thursday" to share some of your recipes with us. (link opens at midnight EST on Weds)

Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

Wendy
Around My Family Table

Bobbie said...

Just wondering how much oil to use?

Jigglebuns said...

I'm a terrible measurer...I used my electric fry pan so I could keep the heat steady at 350 and put between 1/2" and 3/4" oil. You don't need it super deep, just flip them over to do both sides.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those little apple pies sound yummy! Convenience is always nice :)

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Wow - your apple pies sound amazing. Yum! I would never order one @ McDonald's but I definitely would make my own!

Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Tuesdays!

Miz Helen said...

Your Fried Apple Pies remind me of my Grandmother who made the best fried pies. Your recipe is great and a real winner! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
Miz Helen

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just wanted to thank you for visiting Cast Party Wednesday and I hope you join me again tomorrow and share more of your great recipes!
Thanks,
I hope to see you tomorrow!