Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pizza Rolls

I have an addiction to The Sister's Cafe. I love their blog in every way a blog can be adored. I think the fact that it's sister's working together on it makes me like it even more. Add to that the fact that nearly everything I have tried from their stash of recipes has been a hit and it's blog love.

Tonight I had to take dinner to a friend and decided that I was too lazy to do both pizza and breadsticks so pizza rolls was the choice of the day. I used my own pizza dough recipe, their pizza roll method and made up my own marinara sauce. Quite frankly the sauce made the meal and I can't wait to have more of it for lunch tomorrow. I think I'm going to have it over chicken like chicken Parmesan but that's another post.

Here we go.

White Pizza Dough
2 pizza crusts

2 c warm water
2 tsp sugar
2 Tb active dry yeast
6 Tbsp olive oil
5 c flour
2 tsp salt
Put warm water in bowl. Stir in sugar and yeast and let proof for 1o minutes. Stir in rest of ingredients. Mix until a ball, knead 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes in mixer. Let rise for 1.5 hours. Roll out and arrange pizza toppings on top. Bake in 400 degree oven (on preheated pizza stone for best results).

Pizza Rolls

pizza dough

mozzarella cheese, shredded or cubed
pepperoni, cut into fourths
marinara or pizza sauce
1/2 green bell pepper, diced small
1/2 small onion, diced small
1/4 cup chopped olives

Roll pizza dough out into a large rectangle. Using a pizza cutter, cut into 12 pieces. Add 1 tsp sauce to each piece of dough.  Layer the toppings in the center of each square of dough; about 2-3 Tb total of toppings on each. Now stretch and fold the dough around the toppings, pinching to seal edges. This is the tricky part - the more toppings you use, the harder it gets to tuck them all within the dough!

Now place seam side down in a lightly greased casserole dish or glass baking dish. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle generously with garlic salt and Italian seasoning. (oregano, basil and thyme, etc) Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until rolls are light brown. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping.

Marinara Sauce


2 small onions, diced fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced fine or shredded
2 ribs celery, diced fine
1/3 c. olive oil
2 lg cans crushed tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1½ tsp basil
1½ tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs Balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs sugar (if desired)

Heat oil over med high heat. Sauté onions and garlic until onions are translucent.

Add remaining vegetables and sauté until tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for approx an hour until sauce is thickened. Adjust spices to taste.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow! If that is being lazy than I am REALLY LAZY! It sounds amazing! I may try it and let Lance help. He loves to cook with me and I think he would really enjoy putting stuff in the crust! Thanks! Also, thanks for referring me to that blog! I love it too!!