Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, October 24, 2011

Apple Cupcakes with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting

I made cupcakes today to take to work as a bribe. Who knows if it will make any impact but if I were the one being bribed I would pretty much be a slave to this frosting. The cake was ok but compared to the frosting it was just cake. I feel like that much of the time however so I had to eat a cupcake plain to decide whether or not I actually liked them. I will definitely do apple chunks next time instead of shreds but over all it was a decent apple cake and considering that it started with a spice cake mix that makes me pretty happy. I have much better luck jazzing up a mix than I do from scratch. Maybe when I grow up I will figure out consistent results from scratch.

Apple Cupcakes with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
2 doz cupcakes

Cupcakes:
1 spice cake mix
1 cup applesauce
1/4 c. oil
1 c. buttermilk
2 tsp apple pie spice
2 apples; chopped

Frosting:
3 oz cream cheese
2-3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. butter
1/3 c. caramel ice cream topping
1 tsp vanilla

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with 24 cupcake liners.
  2. In a large mixing bowl mix cake mix, oil, buttermilk, and applesauce until well blended. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each. Add apples and apple pie spice and stir until blended.
  3. Fill cupcake liners with 1/4 c. batter and bake 20 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove to a sheet pan and refrigerate 10-15 minutes until cool.
  4. In large mixing bowl cream together butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and caramel until fluffy. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until incorporated, well blended and the consistency you prefer. I like mine to hold peaks so that it doesn't slide off the cupcake when it's piped on.
Shared with:
Church Supper Sunday  Melt in Your Mouth Monday  Sweet Indulgences Sunday    Sweets on a Saturday Tasty Tuesday  Two Maid a Baking Foodie Wednesday  Cast Party Wednesday  Made it on Monday  These Chicks Cooked  Totally Tasty Tuesdays 

    4 comments:

    Krista said...

    Yummy! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a great week.

    Everyday Mom's Meals

    Carolina HeartStrings said...

    Wow do those look good. I am so crazy about cupcakes. Delicious. Come visit and check out our delicious sweet potato stuffed french toast.

    Kim McCallie said...

    These look awesome!! I love apples and caramel - yummy! I'll have to add these to my to-do list. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

    It looks so gorgeous and yummy. I love caramel and apple combination.

    Thank you so much for sharing this at last week Foodie Wednesday. I am little behind on my commenting. Hope you can come by and link up another great recipe today.

    Bibi @ Frugal Wannabe Cooks