Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, March 16, 2009

Cheese Vegetable Chowder

Have you ever eaten at the Lion House?? It is so good, I love to go there and eat myself silly. One of my favorite things there is the Cheese Vegetable Chowder. However, in true fat chick fashion I always am going through it in my head making changes and wondering what would happen if I added this or that or what if I did this instead....it's a sickness I am sure.

This soup recipe is adapted from the Lion House Cheese Chowder recipe but I have added way more vegetables, more cheese, changed out part of the milk for half and half...you get the idea! :) The beauty of this one is you truly can make it your own and it's impossible to mess up. If you are a food storage user upper this is fine with powdered milk, bouillion cubes, cheese powder and dehydrated or canned veggies etc.

Cheese Vegetable Chowder

approx 10 servings

1 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup margarine
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 Tbls cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups half and half
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups carrots
1 1/2 cups celery
2 cups potatoes, chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese

Cook vegetables in chicken broth for approx 20 min or until cooked through.

Saute onion in melted butter until transparent but not brown, add flour and cornstarch, parprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 min to cook out flour taste. Add to vegetables and broth. Add half and half and milk. Cook stirring constantly until thickened. Add cheese and stir until melted. I usually dump everything into the crock pot at this point on low. Add parsley just before serving so it is pretty and green. Garnish with bacon bits if you like. (Bacon isn't included in the nutrional info)

Calories 307; Total Fat 20g; Total Carbs 17.6g; Fiber 1.9g; Protein 12.5g

No comments: