Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Snickerdoodle Blondies

Blondies are almost as hot at cupcakes at the moment. It seems like no matter where I look on the internet someone has a new blondie recipe. Because I'm "anti stand there and portion out cookies a dozen at a time" the whole bar cookies concept really appeals to me. However, taking that stance has up until now excluded some of my favorite flavors from our treat rotation.

As a kid snickerdoodles were my favorite cookies. I loved the sparkly, crispy, cinnamon sugar outside and the soft, not too sweet middles. I wasn't patient enough though to actually make a whole batch with the rolling them into balls and then rolling each ball into the cinnamon sugar. That hasn't really changed!

I saw this recipe at http://www.recipegirl.com/ and knew that I had to try it. I did really like the ease of preparation and the bars were good made as the recipe directed but I think if I do it again I will make a cinnamon vanilla glaze and drizzle it all over. Not only would that be pretty but I think that it would be the perfect finish.

Snickerdoodle Blondies
20-24 bars

Cookies:
2 2/3 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
2 c. brown sugar, packed
1 c. butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract

Topping:
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnmon, nutmeg, cream of tartar, and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar with a mixer. Mix in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla. Keep beating until mixture is smooth.
4. Stir in flour mixture until well blended. The batter will be thick. Spread it evenly into the prepared pan. Spray your hands with cooking spray and use them to pat the mixture down evenly.
5. Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly on top of batter.
6. Bake 25-30 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed. Let pan cool completely.
7. If using a glaze, drizzle it onto the surface of bars and let harden before you cut into them.

No comments: