Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Cucumber Slices

I'm dieting again. *sigh* So in an effort to find a snack that isn't going to break the bank calories wise and still falls into the actual "snack" category I have been looking all over the internet at different refrigerator pickle recipes. I LOVE pickles and will eat just about any kind but since I've given up sugar for a while I kind of wanted something sweet. I found a recipe over on Our Best Bites that looked like it would work so last night I gave it a whirl.

I must have used all my rice vinegar so I used a white balsamic vinegar instead and it came out more sweet than I had anticipated so next time I will double the amount of red pepper flakes (I've actually thrown them into the jar since I tasted them). The recipe below reflects the changes that I made.

This is definitely a do again. I can even see this as a side dish at a BBQ like a cucumber salad. My dad always used to eat cucumbers in vinegar in the summer and this is similar but doesn't have the sharp bite that you get from cider vinegar. I actually liked it better.

Sweet and Spicy Cucumber Slices
1 quart

3 medium-large cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar (you could use rice vinegar or white wine vinegar but I think that cider or regular white vinegar would be too strong)
1/2 c water
3 T Truvia sweetner or sugar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 T minced red onion

Place cucumber slices in a colander sitting over a bowl, sprinkle with salt and toss well. Let sit for an hour regrigerated. Toss them a few times while they drain to evenly distribute the salt. While they are draining prepare marinade.

Combine vinegar, water, sweetner, onions and red pepper in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cook until reduced to a 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). If you boil too long just add a little more water until you have 1/3 c. Let mixture cool to room temp.

When cucumbers are done resting, pat them dry with a few paper towels and then combine with the vinegar reduction. Let chill completely before serving.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Sounds delicious! I'm so trying this tonight!

Linda said...

Okay, so I made these last night and they were awesome! David loved the spiciness of them, and I just loved them. Thanks Jill!

Jigglebuns said...

I'm so glad you liked them. I've eaten almost a whole jar of them in the past couple of days. :)