Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Beef and Mushroom Sloppy Joes

I got Kaiser rolls at the bakery for our burgers the other day and there are still some sitting on my counter. I have a hard time just letting them go to waste....they are delightful....so I needed a plan. I also had mushrooms in the fridge and some hamburger that needed to be used. There was no plan jumping from my head so I hit the Cooking Light magazine for some inspiration.

Cooking Light is one of my favorite sources for healthy recipes. I haven't ever had a true bomb from a Cooking Light source so I didn't have any trepidation in my heart when I decided to do the Beef and Mushroom Sloppy Joes from the June 2011 issue of Cooking Light magazine. I did have to make a few adjustments as I didn't have everything in their version (cause you know that NEVER happens) but overall it turned out really well. I liked the zip from the hot sauce and the overall flavor. I think the only thing I would do differently next time is swap the tomato paste for tomato sauce and have written the recipe below to reflect that change, the filling seemed really thick for our taste. And, as expected they were yummy on those good rolls. Yay!

I think it's time for a dessert recipe next....

Beef and Mushroom Sloppy Joes
Serves 5ish
adapted from Cooking Light magazine June 2011

1 T. olive oil
1 lb ground beef
16 oz chopped mushrooms (I used white because that's what I had but cremini would be good too)
1 c. chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp oregano
2 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp hot sauce

Heat a large non stick skillet over med-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until onions are tender.

In another skillet brown the hamburger stirring to crumble. When onion mixture is done add to the ground beef. Add tomato sauce, oregano, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and salt to pan. Cook approx 5 min. Stir in pepper and hot sauce. Spoon about 3/4 c. on your bun and eat.

Cal. 439; Fat 14.7g; Protein 27.3g; Carb 49.2g; Fiber 4g

No comments: