Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

P-P-Potato Salad

I'm back! I survived a week's worth of girls camp without any lasting ill effects! I am sunburned and stiff from all the hiking but it was totally worth it. Now I just need to figure out how to get myself invited again next year!

It was my mom's birthday this week and we had a family birthday dinner in her honor. My assignment was salad but because I was gone all week the normal choices like pasta salad, fruit salad and spinach salad were already snapped up by my sister and sisters in law. That left me deciding on what to bring that didn't duplicate anyone else and would still be eaten. Bri suggested potato salad so that's what we decided to do. She actually did most of the work while I directed her like the good little sous chef she is. It turned out yum, no real surprise as this is a family recipe that my mom has made for years. There are so many versions of potato salad that I had to reign myself in from trying out something new and different...I got a 50 potato salad recipes insert in my Food Network magazine this month that is just begging to be tried but today it was the old standby.

Everyone has a different twist on this salad. The way we like it uses green onions and pickle juice rather than actual pickles. No one in my family will eat dill pickles except for me so this way we get to have the flavor from the pickles without the little green chunks. I prefer the green onions over yellow or white onions simply because they are milder but you could certainly use whatever you have on hand.

My camera is still in the shop...I'm beginning to think I may never see it again...so the picture was taken with B's point and shoot. It's better than nothing right?

Potato Salad

10-12 med red potatoes, halved and cooked
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic salt
4 T. white wine vinegar
1 1/2 c. Miracle Whip (I used light but will remember to do regular next time so it's gluten free) Sorry Dave!!
1/4 c. dill pickle juice
1/4 c. milk or cream
2 tsp mustard (either prepared or dijon work)
4-5 green onions chopped
5 hard boiled eggs, chopped or smashed
salt and pepper to taste
paprika

Peel and cube potatoes while still warm. Season with onion powder, salt, garlic salt and vinegar and set aside. Let rest for 30 minutes.

Mix Miracle Whip, pickle juice, milk and mustard together until smooth. Stir chopped green onions into dressing and mix well. Add half the eggs to the potato mixture. Toss with dressing until well coated. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Turn into serving bowl. Top salad with remaining eggs and a sprinkle of Paprika. Chill well before serving.

Linked to:
Melt in Your Mouth Mondays Totally Tasty Tuesdays Tasty Tuesday  Tasty Tuesdays 
Foodie Wednesday  Cast Party Wednesday  Made it on Monday  These Chicks Cooked 

4 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

Look delicious! gloria

Unknown said...

I love Potato Salad!
Thank you for linking up to "Made it on Monday" :)

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I love, love,love good homemade potato salad.

Thank you so much for sharing this at Foodie Wednesday. hope to see you there this week as well.

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

THANK YOU so much for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I'd like to invite you back this week.
Thanks,
I hope to see you again!