Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chicken Tikka Masala

I was talking to my friend the other day and she was saying how much she loved Chicken Tikka Masala at her favorite Indian restaurant and that she has made it at home. I was intrigued because 1) I have never been to an Indian restaurant and 2) because one of my Weight Watchers friends has a recipe that has been passed around and was supposed to be very good. I figured, what have I got to lose, the pizza place is close if it's a complete FAIL!

It wasn't a complete fail, it was as good as its reputation! Randy liked it and said it was a definite do again but next time maybe just a little less heat. So next time I will cut the cayenne a bit and replace it with more paprika. Other than that it was excellent. I have no idea how authentic it is but with some Jasmine rice I felt very exotic while I was eating it. :D Thanks Hope!! Oh, I did use Fat Free Half and Half in place of the cream and I do think that you could probably leave all the salt out without harming the end result

Hope’s Chicken Tikka Masala
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbs lemon juice
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1 tsp salt, or to taste
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
4 long skewers

1 Tbs butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat a grill for high heat.
3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.
4. Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika, and salt.
5. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
6. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro.

1 comment: