Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, June 18, 2010

Go To Wheat Bread

I had a panic attack earlier this week when I went to make bread and realized that I'd tossed my recipe in a moment of clean up madness. Luckily I was able to recall it and get it written down before my memory goes completely. So in an effort to put it somewhere that is easy to find I'm going to put it here.

This is the recipe that I use most often for bread. It's a bit lighter and fluffier than 100% whole wheat bread and I like that it makes 4 loaves. 3 for the week and 1 to share. I've also made it with all white flour (it was 6:00 a.m. I was still asleep) and it was really good that way as well. Randy liked it better all white, Bri prefers the blend. I just like bread. Any bread. Bread made into sandwiches and toast....yum.

As far as the ratio of white flour to wheat goes I just fiddled with it until I got it where I wanted. I do usually try to use white wheat flour as it's not quite as nutty tasting but either works.

(yes I know the picture is terrible) :/

Go To Wheat Bread


5 1/2 c warm water
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
2 T. yeast
2 T salt
2 T Vital Wheat Gluten
2 T nonfat dry milk (reg is fine too)
3 c. white flour
9 c. whole wheat flour

  1. Prepare bread pans and set aside.
  2. Mix the water, sugar oil, yeast, salt gluten and milk.
  3. Add the white flour and mix well.. Continue adding wheat flour until the dough cleans the side of the bowl and is soft but not sticky. You will need more if you are mixing by hand.
  4. Knead for 10 min or until a soft, smooth dough has formed.
  5. Spray your counter with cooking spray and separate dough into 4 balls.
  6. Flatten out into a rectangle and roll up into loaf shape. Tuck ends in and put in pans.
  7. Cover and let raise until top of dough is 1 1/2 in above pans.
  8. Put in COLD oven and set to 350 degrees. Bake for 32-38 min or until golden brown.
  9. Turn out onto wire rack and cool completely

No comments: