Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, November 5, 2010

Spicy Teriyaki Chicken`

OK, this is a purely made up concoction type of recipe that I've tweaked every time I've made it so it's still technically a work in progress. However, the fact that the only instructions I've written down are currently residing on a very cramped, stained, and splattered pink post it note I decided that I should at least write down what I have done to this point before I have to start over.

I think that if you wanted to take the time to bread the chicken this would be pretty tasty as well as just stir frying it like I've done. I am always in a hurry so I haven't done that but that certainly doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done.

The marinade is just slightly zingy. If it were just Jeff and myself eating I would ramp up the heat a bit more with some red peppers but since we have to share with the other two this is a pretty good compromise.

Spicy Teriyaki Chicken
serves 6

1 1/2 c. pineapple juice (orange also works but I like pineapple better)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. low sodium soy sauce
1/2 c. Teriyaki sauce
3/4 t. creole seasoning (I used Zatarain's)
4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed

2 T. jalapeno pepper (all I had was pickled, it worked but fresh would be better)
Arrowroot or cornstarch
1/2 c water
2 T. oil

Combine first 5 ingredients. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and pour 2/3 of the marinade over the chicken and lest rest in fridge for 30-45 minutes. Stir peppers into the remaining marinade and set aside.

Heat oil in frying pan. Cook the chicken 5-6 minutes or until the chicken is done. I like to let it sear really well before giving it a stir. While chicken is cooking create a slurry with the water and cornstarch or arrowroot. Bring the reserved marinade up to a boil and mix in the slurry stirring constantly. Let boil for a couple of minutes or until the sauce thickens up. Pour over the chicken and mix well. Cook an additional 2 minutes.

Serve over rice.

No comments: