These cupcakes are really rich, like it's a good thing that they aren't oversized rich. The maple cream cheese frosting is delicious and the bacon is the perfect garnish. The saltiness helps cut the sweetness of the frosting and really ties the cupcake together with that breakfast for dessert taste.
Blueberry Pancake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
2 1/2 doz cupcakes
1 box white cake mix
1/2 c. oil
1 c. buttermilk
1 T. vanilla
1 T. apple pie spice
3/4 c. sour cream
1 12 oz bag frozen blueberries
1 stick butter
1 8 oz cube cream cheese
1 T. maple flavoring
3-4 c. powdered sugar
Bacon for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix and apple pie spice into a bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, sour cream, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
4. Stir in cake mix and spices.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Frosting: Beat butter and cream cheese. Add maple flavoring and slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add 1 Tbsp. milk if it becomes too thick.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes
8. Garnish with a piece of bacon.