Last year I tried to do lime cupcakes and it was a dismal failure. I threw away 12 dozen cupcakes that night. I've stewed about it all year long and this was what I came up with. It was a hit. The cake did stick to the liners more than other flavors because of the sugar content in the lime juice but overall, it was a success and was received well.
Key Lime Cupcakes with Lime Buttercream
1 white cake mix
1/2 c. lime juice
1/2 c. oil
1 c. sour cream
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 c. flour
1 can key lime pie filling or lime curd
- Mix cake mix, milk, oil, sour cream, eggs and vanilla in mixer until combined. Mix on med-high speed for 2 minutes
- Put 1/4 c. batter in cupcake liners
- Bake at 350 for 12 minutes
- Remove from oven and cool on wire racks
- When cupcakes are cool, core and set cores aside
- Fill cupcakes with 2 tsp of filling and replace the cake core on top. You might have to kind of squish to get it back on. That's ok.
1 cup room temp butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
6 T lime juice
2 lbs approximately powdered sugar
- Cream butter, vanilla and salt together.
- Alternate adding powdered sugar and lime juice until the frosting is the desired consistency.
- Add a couple of drops of green food coloring if you want green frosting. It's totally not necessary if you choose to cut it out.
- Pipe onto cupcakes.