Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Cherry Tomato Orzo Salad

I had a family reunion the other day and had every intention of baking some super cute cupcakes to take. Then I tried to chop my finger off with some sewing shears and had to have a tetanus shot. That really cramped my style with the whole fever, finger glued back together on the left side and crippled shot arm on the right side. Stupid scissors anyway! Maybe someday I will learn how to use big girl scissors but that's not any time soon apparently. :)

I still needed something to take to the luncheon so I rummaged through the pantry in a panic. My mom would have frowned on showing up empty handed, a "gently smiled on the outside but you know she's rolling her eyes on the inside" kind of mom frown but the guilt would have killed me...I don't know how she does it. I've obviously not perfected that look because my kids would totally show up without the assigned dish and be alright with it. Maybe what I haven't perfected is that "Aw shucks mom I know I didn't do what you asked but I'm cute and so you love me anyway" look. I'm thinking if I haven't figured that out by now I should just stick with doing what I'm told.

I found some Orzo pasta that I had bought one day thinking I was going to attempt something Greek, I don't even remember what, but it obviously never actually happened. That was intriguing and I had some grape tomatoes in the fridge. I ran out to my neighbor's garden (Hi Alice!!) and "helped" her pick some of her cute orange cherry tomatoes cause I know she likes to share and I was in business. This was a super easy salad. It had a really clean, not too fussy taste and for those at my house that don't care for Italian dressings this was a good alternative. B doctored hers up with Salad Seasoning when she ate it at home and it was good that way as well. Definitely a do again!!

Cherry Tomato Orzo Salad
Serves 10

1/2 box Orzo pasta cooked to al dente.
1 pt grape tomatoes, halved
1 pt orange cherry tomatoes, halved
1 large cucumber, diced
2 T. chopped fresh oregano
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 c. olive oil
Black Pepper
1 c. Feta cheese

1. Cook pasta and drain well.
2. Add tomatoes and cucumber and mix.
3. In a small bowl mix together the lemon juice, oil and pepper to taste.
4. Drizzle over the pasta and mix in gently.
5. Just before serving fold the cheese into the salad.

No comments: