Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, September 5, 2011

Zesty Lemon Salad Dressing

Have you ever eaten a particular food so often that you finally get to where you just can't make yourself gag it down any more? That's kind of where I'm at with salads. I did that diet a couple of years ago that you eat lettuce until you are sure you are going to sprout bunny ears and start to hop and I honestly can't force myself to eat green salad now. Part of that is I got used to having only vinegar on it instead of gloppy salad dressing but who am I kidding...I'm not going to only eat vinegar unless there's some kind of guaranteed, ginormous weight loss payoff involved and at the rate I consume treats weight loss is not anywhere on my horizon. So, I've kind of gotten into the habit of eating salads that are mainly spring greens or spinach and trying different combinations for homemade salad dressing. It just takes a minute to whip up and there is just no comparison to that goop in a bottle. I may never go back. Remind me to post the strawberry vinaigrette that I concocted a few weeks ago. Yum!

This lemon based dressing came from thesisterscafe.com. I'm pretty sure that I'm their biggest fan, I've praised their blog several times before and I'm sure it will happen again. I didn't fiddle with their formula much at all and it was great. I would maybe double it if you are taking salad to a potluck or something that you needed a bigger version for. And, I'm not a big "dress the whole salad" fan as there are too many people in my family that don't like the same dressing so I just drizzled a little on after plating my salad. I'm sure the end result was the same.

The salad was we ate it on was baby spinach, sliced strawberries, toasted almond slivers and a little bit of feta cheese. Again, we let everyone do their own here so that they can leave the undesired components off if they want. Cuz, you know, I'm a cool mom like that. :0)

Zesty Lemon Salad Dressing
adapted from www.thesisterscafe.com

Juice of 1 lemon (about 3-4 T.)
3 T. sugar
1 T. Dijon mustard
Zest of 1 lemon (about 1/2 Tish)
Pepper to taste
1/4 c. light olive oil

In a blender mix all ingredients until well blended and sugar is dissolved. Drizzle onto salad just before serving.

No comments: