Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Meatloaf a'la Jiggle

Everyone has a meatloaf recipe that is supposedly the best. Mom, Grandma, Aunt Louise, they all swear theirs in the best. I've tried many and am not convinced that any one is significantly better than another. It really all boils down to your own taste and that of your family. My family won't eat it if they can see oats in it and they don't like the texture of crumbled bread. If I add carrots in an effort to up the healthy it's just understood that I will be eating the whole thing by myself. Not always a bad solution but maybe more meatloaf than I really need...

This version is super easy and tastes like steak. That probably has something to do with the generous amount of A1 that I dump in and I'm totally ok with that. My family likes it and that's the important part right?

Meatloaf a'la Jiggle
serves 6 (4 if you are feeding starving boys)

1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 large egg
1/2 c. milk
2/3 c. seasoned bread crumbs (crushed Ritz crackers would be good too)
3 T. yellow mustard
1/4 c. A1 steak sauce
2 T (ish) Canadian Steak seasoning

1. Mix all ingredients with ground beef in a large bowl. Don't over mix, just kind of smoosh it altogether until it's mixed.
2. Turn into a 9x9 baking dish and loosely shape into a loaf.
3. Bake uncovered at 350 for about 45 minutes. At this point you can add a ketchup or BBQ sauce to the top if you like. Bake another 15 minutes.
4. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: