Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fan Cut Spuds

With Mr. Jiggle in India we've kind of slacked on the cooking. I know I've said that in previous posts but seriously, we've all lost weight. Now why can't that happen and still eat good treats and dinner?? If someone knows the secret please let me know cause I'm still looking for the "silver bullet of weight loss".

I saw these potatoes on Rachel Ray a while ago and just kind of stashed them in my "remember for someday in the future" section of my brain. Today in straightening up my kitchen I discovered a bag of forgotten russet potatoes (spuds if you grew up in Southeastern Idaho) that needed to be used immediately if not sooner but didn't want to do baked potatoes and I was too rushed to peel anything. So Fan Cut Potatoes here we come.

Although these take a while to cook the prep is easy and fairly quick. We just cut them, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled them with seasoning salt and pepper. Add a little shredded cheese the last 10 minutes and they are yum. Crispy on the outside and steamy and soft on the inside with the deep flavor that roasting vegetables gives them.

A nice change from baked potatoes!

Fan Cut Spuds
adapted from Rachel Ray

1. Scrub potatoes well.
2. With a sharp knife cut slices partway through the potato about 1/8 inch thick. Don't slice through the bottom.
3. Drizzle with good olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. I used Johnny's seasoning salt instead. Sam's Club has a giant bottle and it's the best seasoned salt I've tried.
4. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Sprinkle shredded cheese on the top and bake another 10-15 minutes.

No comments: