Print button

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, May 30, 2011

BBQ Pasta Salad

Once again I found myself needing a salad for a family dinner this morning and I wanted to do something different. I know, the ABC Shrimp Salad is a perennial favorite but I just wasn't feeling it today. I was watching Food Network again while I was sick this past week and the Neelys made a version of this salad on their show. I was intrigued with the dressing, I love BBQ sauce on just about everything so how wrong could it be on pasta?? It was actually very good. Next time I'll make a bit more sauce so that it's more moist but overall this was a very, very good salad. I can see lots of options to customize it to your individual tastes. They used pulled pork on the show. I had baked chicken in the fridge so I used that instead of the pork. I also added corn and bacon. I can also see a vegetarian version using black beans being very good. I'm also going on the assumption that you can add about any vegetable that you like and it would work. The sky's the limit.

BBQ Pasta Salad
Adapted from Food Network-Down Home with the Neelys
8-10 servings


1 lb curly pasta
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup mayo
1/2 c. BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped fine
2 ribs celery, chopped fine
2 green onions, sliced thin
8-12 oz chicken
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup corn
Salt and pepper

Bring 4 qts water to a boil in a large pot. Salt water and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse and cool. Transfer to a large bowl.

In another bowl combine vinegar, hot sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, mayo and BBQ sauce. Whisk together until smooth. Add chopped vegetables and toss to coat. Pour dressing over pasta and mix well. Add chicken and bacon. Stir in if desired.

3 comments:

Tina Butler said...

What a neat twist on a pasta salad. I love The Neelys and I am with you anything BBQ is always good. Thank you for linking up.

Unknown said...

I am so happy you linked up with MADE IT ON MONDAY! :)

And with such a taste bud tempting recipe! I cant wait to try it out!

*Pssst...YOU made MY TOP 3 Picks this week! I will be posting it on Monday! YIPEE! Also this was a PRIZE WEEK, so please go to my Contact me Page and email me your shipping info.*

Have a great week and I hope to hear from you soon.
Lark

Unknown said...

Thanks for linking up last week on Whisking Wednesdays. I hope to see you back again this week.

http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/2011/06/whisking-wednesdays-6.html